We’re excited to bring you this recipe from Chef Greg Johnson, founder of the website Chef and Father, where he just launched his 1-Week Real Food Challenge to help families get healthy meals on the table, on a budget (Healthy Chicken Fried Rice is day 3 of the full-week meal plan; approximate cost of the meal = $12-14).
Healthy Chicken Fried Rice
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Yield: 3-4 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot (shred on a cheese grater)
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini (shred on a cheese grater)
- 1/2 cup snap peas, sliced thin
- 2 baby bok choy, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cooked rice (basmati or long grain, brown or white)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 cup cashews or peanuts
- 1/4 cup seeds (sesame, sunflower, chia, flax)
- **The night before or earlier in the day bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup of basmati or long grain rice and gently boil until cooked through. Time depends on rice so just taste one to see if done. Strain rice in a fine colander and rinse with cold water. Store in refrigerator until needed.
- In a large saute pan off the heat, coat the bottom with the oil.
- Add chicken, carrot, zucchini, snap peas and bok choy.
- Put on a medium-high heat and stir-fry until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Make a well in the center and crack egg into it, stir to cook.
- Add rice and stir to coat veggies.
- Add soy sauce and chili sauce and stir to coat.
- Add nuts and seeds and stir.
- Taste and adjust seasoning by adding more soy or chili sauce to taste. Serve in bowls.
- Fry another egg and serve on top if desired (over-easy is best).