Baked Penne with Ricotta and Spinach is one of the most popular recipes from the meal planning experts at Relish!
Baked Penne with Ricotta and Spinach
Prep Time: 25 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Yield: 6 servings
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, washed, drained, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside. Lightly grease a baking dish.
- Heat butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; saute onion 5 minutes or until just brown. Add garlic, and cook about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low and add spinach; cover and cook 5 minutes or until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle spinach mixture with flour. Cook uncovered, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add milk, stirring well. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often, until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in cooked pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, sugar, salt and pepper, and red pepper. Place into prepared dish and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.