Baked macaroni and cheese with a flavor boost from onions, garlic and artichokes. If your family loves artichokes, go ahead and add two cans to make this dish even yummier.
Wack ‘n Cheese
Prep Time: 25 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Yield: 6 servings
- 1 box (16 ounces) elbow macaroni (white or wheat)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil and/or butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion (Vidalia or Walla Walla), diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 small log (4-5 ounces) goat cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (Panko style recommended)
- Grated parmesan to taste
- Cook macaroni al dente, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and/or butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions to the butter and saute until soft. Add garlic and saute one or two minutes more.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook about a minute while stirring.
- Whisk in milk and bring slowly to a simmer. Stir in artichoke hearts.
- Turn off heat and add mozzarella and goat cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add pasta and combine thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs and Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes, until breadcrumbs are browned.