Green beans with bacon, a touch of red pepper flakes, and topped with goat cheese – sound delicious?
Bacon Green Beans with Goat Cheese
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound slab bacon, diced
- 1 white onion, minced
- 2 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more to taste
- coarse salt
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- In a large deep stockpot or Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring, until golden. Transfer the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Remove all but 4 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Add the onion to the skillet and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add the beans, red pepper flakes and salt and saute over medium-high heat, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the boiling water and cover the skillet immediately (being careful not to splatter the grease). Steam the beans, shaking the stockpot occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until just tender.
- Add the butter, vinegar and pepper and toss until combined. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to a serving dish and sprinkle with the bacon crumbles and goat cheese to serve.