From the author:
"This dish is marvelous the next day with some crumbled bacon mixed in."
submitted by Ilina Evans
Baked macaroni and cheese with a flavor boost from onions, garlic and artichokes. If your family loves artichokes, go ahead and add two cans to make this dish even yummier.
- 1 box (16 oz) elbow macaroni (white or wheat)
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil and/or butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion (Vidalia or Walla Walla), diced
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 small log (4-5 oz) goat cheese
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup bread crumbs (Panko style recommended)
- grated Parmesan
- Cook macaroni al dente, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350° F and grease a 9X13 casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and/or butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions to the butter and saute until soft. Add garlic and saute one or two minutes more.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook about a minute while stirring.
- Whisk in milk and bring slowly to a simmer. Stir in artichoke hearts.
- Turn off heat and add mozzarella and goat cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add pasta and combine thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs and Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, 30–35 minutes, until breadcrumbs are browned.
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.