Make homemade vegetable soup for your own family in less time than you think. It’s even better the second day so prepare it a day or two ahead for a super-quick meal.
Homemade Vegetable Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh green beans
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (can use frozen corn)
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil, add onion and celery, and saute until soft but not browned, about 5-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook two minutes more.
- Add the broth, water, tomatoes, carrots, potato, green beans and corn. Season with salt and pepper
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in cream and lemon juice, if using.
- Serve with crackers or bread.