This dinner recipe is a quick homemade version of chicken strips, a sure-to-please kid favorite and something you might otherwise grab pre-processed from the freezer section. They recommend serving with Tangy Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes, Big Peas and Little Peas, and sliced watermelon.
Crunchy Chicken Schnitzel
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Yield: 6 servings
- 3 cups bread crumbs (preferably whole wheat)
- 1 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup whole wheat flour seasoned with salt and pepper, for dredging
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 pounds thin-cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemons, sliced
- Mix the bread crumbs and Parmesan in a wide, shallow container. Fill another wide, shallow container with whole wheat flour and a third container with the beaten eggs.
- Dredge the chicken breasts in flour, pat or shake off the excess, and then dip them in egg, letting any excess drip off. Coat the cutlets in the bread crumb mixture by pressing them hard down into the crumbs, then flipping them and pressing the other side into the crumbs.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over a medium flame; add olive oil to cover the bottom. Gently saute the cutlets for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden and just cooked through. You might have to do this in a few batches; just keep the finished ones warm in the oven.
- Serve the cutlets garnished with a lemon slice.
- Sides: Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes, Big Peas and Little Peas, and frozen grapes (they will turn into little balls of sorbet all by themselves!)