Add to Cozi: Non-Perishable Foods for Emergencies
Article from Cooking Light
Launched in 1987, Cooking Light has thrived by showing the audience how to achieve balance in every aspect of their lives. Cooking Light is dedicated to giving readers the necessary information to make smart choices about their food and their entire lifestyle, helping them feel better and look their very best.
Read the full article here: https://www.cookinglight.com/syndication/what-are-non-perishable-foods
Non-perishable foods are necessary to have in case of a natural disaster or, more recently, a public health emergency that requires self-quarantine (like the coronavirus) where you can’t leave your house for an extended period of time. A well-stocked supply of non-perishable foods is also necessary during and after power outages.
To make sure you and your family are well stocked add the list below to your Cozi Shopping Lists. Make sure you purchase & store 3 days worth of goods for each person in your family.
- Make sure you have a working can opener.
- To conserve water, avoid foods that will make you thirsty (like potato chips).
- When preparing your emergency situation food supply, consider how many people you’ll need to feed. Will you be by yourself? Or will you need to care for a family?
- Choose foods your family likes. Canned tuna is no good if your 3-year-old refuses to eat it.
- If a can is dented or swollen, throw it out—even if its contents look safe to eat.
- What if the can looks OK, but the food inside smells or tastes weird? When in doubt, throw it out.
- In the days leading up to an expected natural disaster or an event where people need to be quarantined, don’t go crazy in the canned goods aisle. Buy what you need, but don’t take so much that other people are left without.
Non-Perishable Foods List
Here’s another handy list for when you are preparing ahead for emergencies: fruits and vegetables that last a week or more in the fridge.
Cozi Family Organizer is the must-have app for busy families - easy to use and free in the app store. You'll wonder how you managed your busy life before Cozi. Get Cozi today!