Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce with Meatballs was a dinner recipe selection in the Cozi Family Dinner Club, where we share family dinner recipes and then talk about how they went. Join the Dinner Club to get dinner ideas delivered to your inbox and free tools to plan them.
If you've never made your own spaghetti and meatballs, this is a delicious recipe, and the slow cooker takes care of the long simmer for you.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 lb ground meat (ground beef, pork, turkey, or a combination)
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan chese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute about 5 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker and add the remaining sauce ingredients. Cover and turn on high while you make the meatballs.
- In a large bowl, add all meatball ingredients except the olive oil. Gently combine the mixture with a fork or your hands. Form mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls. Heat olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add meatballs (as many as fit - you may have to cook in batches) and brown lightly on all sides.
- Add meatballs to sauce in the slow cooker and stir to cover meatballs with sauce. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Remove bay leaf and serve over penne pasta or your favorite noodles.
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.