This America Makes Dinner Recipe was created by Chef Floyd Cardoz, New York chef and Top Chef Masters winner.
He created a braised chicken stew with lots of veggies, olives and chickpeas and full of the delicious flavors of Indian cuisine.
Chef Floyd Cardoz
MAIN INGREDIENTS: chicken, olives, chickpeas, tomatoes, peppers
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs, fat removed and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 1 chipotle, broken in half
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 cups sliced onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 inch fresh ginger, cut into coins
- 2 large red or green peppers, diced
- 3 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 cups canned or boiled chickpeas
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 12 black olives, minced
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup orange juice
- Pinch salt
- Season the chicken with a pinch of salt and let stand.
- In a large stew pot add the canola oil, cloves and cinnamon and heat over moderate heat.
- When spices get aromatic, add the chipotle and the cumin, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, onion, bay leaf, carrots, and ginger and cook for 8 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add the peppers, tomatoes, paprika, and thyme and cook for 4-6 minutes.
- Next add the chicken, chickpeas, raisins, olives, zest and juice. Bring up to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer for 12-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove bay leaf, cinnamon stick, chipotle, cloves and thyme sprigs before serving.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with brown rice.
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.