Beef Orzo Skillet
Beef Orzo Skillet is one of our top-rated recipes of all time. It came from by Cozi Family Dinner Club member Patsy P. She says, "My family requests it almost weekly!"
MAIN INGREDIENTS: ground beef, tomatoes, spinach, orzo, Parmesan cheese
Prep Time: Cook time: Total Time: Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes ( I use the garlic, basil, oregano flavor)
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces orzo pasta, dried (1 cup)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed. (Several cups of fresh spinach works well, too)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle salt into a 10 to 12 inch frying pan over medium-high heat. Crumble beef into pan and cook, stirring often, until meat begins to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, stir in onion, and continue to cook, stirring, until onion is soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Spoon off and discard excess fat.
- Add garlic, tomatoes (break them up with a spoon) and their liquid, broth, oregano, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil then stir in pasta. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently until pasta is tender to bite, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, squeeze as much liquid as possible from spinach. Stir spinach into pasta mixture just until heated through.
- Serve with cheese to sprinkle on top.