Beef Orzo Skillet is one of our top-rated recipes of all time. It came from by Cozi Family Dinner Club member Patsy P. She says, “My family requests it almost weekly!”
MAIN INGREDIENTS: ground beef, tomatoes, spinach, orzo, Parmesan cheese
Get this recipe on your mobile device! Cozi, the must-have calendar and organizing app for families, has this recipe, plus many more easy weeknight dinner ideas. Find Cozi in the app store, or sign up on the web. It’s free!
Beef Orzo Skillet
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes ( I use the garlic, basil, oregano flavor)
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces orzo pasta, dried (1 cup)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed. (Several cups of fresh spinach works well, too)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle salt into a 10 to 12 inch frying pan over medium-high heat. Crumble beef into pan and cook, stirring often, until meat begins to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, stir in onion, and continue to cook, stirring, until onion is soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Spoon off and discard excess fat.
- Add garlic, tomatoes (break them up with a spoon) and their liquid, broth, oregano, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil then stir in pasta. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently until pasta is tender to bite, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, squeeze as much liquid as possible from spinach. Stir spinach into pasta mixture just until heated through.
- Serve with cheese to sprinkle on top.