This America Makes Dinner meal was created by Cara Eisenpress, food writer, recipe developer, blogger at Big Girls, Small Kitchen and a participant in the Meatless Monday movement, and co-author of In the Small Kitchen.
For her family dinner meal, she came up with a simple fried rice made with a medley of mushrooms, veggies and nuts. Side dish suggestion: Minted Fruit Salad.
MAIN INGREDIENTS: rice, mushroom, carrots, eggs, cashews, soy sauce
- FRIED RICE
- 2 tablespoons canola, vegetable, or other neutral oil?
- About 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms (or a mix of mushrooms), wiped clean and sliced?
- 4 cloves garlic, minced?
- 1 yellow onion, diced?
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts, chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut in a half inch dice
- 1 tablespoon minced, peeled fresh ginger
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 eggs, beaten with a 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews, plus a few whole cashews for garnish
- SIDE DISH: MINTED FRUIT SALAD
- 1 cup cubed honeydew melon
- 1 cup halved fresh strawberries
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2 sliced, peeled kiwifruit
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5-6 fresh mint leaves, chopped fine
- Note: This dish is best made with leftover rice. However, if you don’t have any, make about 1 1/2 cups of rice according to package directions. When it’s cooked, spread it out on a baking sheet and put it in the fridge to dry out and cool for at least 10 minutes. Then proceed with the recipe.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick wok or large pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring constantly until wilted and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add half the garlic and about 1/4 teaspoon salt, then stir and cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Add the other 1 tablespoon oil, swirl it around, then add the onion, scallions, and carrots and stir fry for 1-2 minutes, until softened. Add the rest of the garlic and the ginger, and stir-fry for another minute or two until fragrant. Sprinkle in another 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Add the rice and toss it around, so it gets incorporated into the veggies and some parts get a bit brown and crispy. Add the soy sauce, and toss to distribute. Mix in the mushrooms.
- Push the whole mixture over to one half of the pan and pour in the eggs. Let them cook for a minute, then use a spatula to pull the eggs in, scrambling them into large pieces. Continue to cook and scramble until they’re fully cooked, then toss the eggs together with the rice. Add the cashews and toss.
- Scoop into bowls, garnish with a few cashews, and eat immediately.
- For the Minted Fruit Salad: In a large bowl, combine the fruit. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over fruit and gently stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.