This recipe is from our list of simple yet beautiful Valentine's Day treats.
by Georgia Johnson from the The Comfort of Cooking.
These stained glass cookies are an impressive but surprisingly simple sweet treat for a special Valentine. Just make a basic sugar cookie, cut out your desired shape, then use a small cutter to remove a shape from the inside of the cookie. Fill it with crushed hard candies (Jolly Ranchers work best). After baking, the melted candy becomes glass-like and makes for a pretty cookie and a sweet, sentimental homemade treat.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 15 small hard candies for cookie center (I used Jolly Ranchers), crushed
- To make the dough: Using an electric mixer at medium-high speed, cream the butter, gradually adding the sugar. Beat in the egg until evenly mixed, then blend in the vanilla extract and salt.
- With a wooden spoon, stir the flour into the creamed ingredients, about one third at a time, until evenly blended.
- Divide the dough in half. Flatten each portion into a disk and seal in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- To create the cookies: Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Cover a sturdy baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat the foil with cooking spray. Between two sheets of waxed paper lightly dusted with flour, roll the dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. Remove the top sheet.
- Cut out the cookies with a large cookie cutter or a round biscuit cutter. Use a lightly floured spatula to transfer the shapes to the baking sheet, leaving about an inch between cookies. Remove the centers of the cookies with a smaller cookie cutter.
- Place a pinch of crushed hard candy into the center of each cookie and bake until the cookies start to brown lightly around the edges and the candy is melted, about 8 to 10 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. To prevent sticking, line your serving plate or tin with waxed paper and place additional waxed paper between layers.
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.