Spicy Veggie Chili was a dinner recipe selection in the Cozi Family Dinner Club, where we share family dinner recipes and then talk about how they went. Join the Dinner Club to get dinner ideas delivered to your inbox, members-only giveaways and more.
This one came from Sam B., Cozi's marketing director. She loves it so much she brought a batch into the Cozi offices and everyone absolutely loved it. Dig in!
Spicy Veggie Chili is a one-dish veggie meal that you can make as spicy or as low-key as you want, just vary the peppers! Even better the second day!
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your desired level of spiciness)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 12-oz beer
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can tomato sauce (2 cans if you like juicier chili)
- 1 1-lb bag carrot chips (or 1 lb sliced or diced carrots)
- 1 15-oz can dark red kidney beans
- 1 15-oz can light red kidney beans
- 1 15.25 oz can sweet corn (niblets)
- If you like more kick, add 3 to 4 Guerito Peppers, minced with the seeds (these are in a jar in the Mexican section of grocery store)
- In a small ramekin combine garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt, cayenne pepper.
- Open all the cans and the beer.
- Heat oil and beer and bring to a boil.
- Add onion, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and the mix from the ramekin. Stir and heat until bubbling.
- Add the carrots, beans, corn and guerito peppers (if using), stir and reduce heat to low. Slow cook as long as possible, the longer the better. (about 3-4 hrs)
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.