This America Makes Dinner Recipe was created by Lisa Leake, the mom behind 100 Days of Real Food, a blog that tells about her family's conversion to a real-food diet and shows others that cutting out processed food is do-able and delicious.
Her fajita recipe uses the slow cooker to take the hectic last minute prep out of this favorite meal.
MAIN INGREDIENTS: flank steak, spices, bell peppers, onions
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steak
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4–5 bell peppers, any color
- 1 onion
- Other fajita fixings: Whole-wheat tortillas, grated low-fat cheese, fresh sliced avocado, cilantro, lime slices, fresh spinach leaves, low-fat sour cream, hot peppers, etc.
- Mix together the dry spices with a fork (chili powder, cumin, coriander and pepper).
- Rub the spice mixture over all sides of the flank steak and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the soy sauce on top.
- Top the flank steak with the diced jalapeno and minced garlic. Slice the bell peppers and onion and throw those on top of the steak as well.
- Turn the slow cooker onto HIGH and cook for 5–6 hours or until the steak can easily be shredded with two forks.
- Drain the meat and peppers well then serve with the recommended fajita “fixings” (listed above). Enjoy!
- Serve with: Fresh watermelon slices, sprinkled if desired with a dash of chili powder and lime juice.
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.