Roasted Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives is a dinner recipe selection in the Cozi Family Dinner Club, where we share family dinner recipes and then talk about how they went. Join the Dinner Club to get dinner ideas delivered to your inbox and free tools to plan them.
This recipe was brought to you from Real Simple magazine's new cookbook, Dinner Tonight: Done! We thought the recipes in this cookbook were perfect for busy families who need to get dinner on the table every night. Enjoy!
This dish looks elaborate, but is surprisingly quick to prepare. Serve the sauce with pasta if desired. Looking for a dry white wine for cooking? Try Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, or Chablis. Avoid "cooking wine" sold in supermarkets. Don't cook with anything that you wouldn't drink.
- 1 lemon
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated, unpeeled
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 3-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Kosher salt and pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Using a vegetable peeler, remove trips of zest from lemon. (Reserve the lemon.)
- In a large roasting pan, toss the tomatoes, garlic, olives, thyme, and lemon zest with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Nestle the chicken, skin-side up, in the tomato mixture and rub with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Season with ¾ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and roast until the chicken is cooked through, 35-40 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter.
- Squeeze the lemon into the hot roasting pan and add the wine. Gently stir, scraping up any bits stuck to the pan. Serve the chicken with the tomato mixture and pan juices.
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.