This recipe is on of our list of five holiday food gift ideas.
Cinnamon rolls may seem challenging to some, but these fabulous fall-inspired breakfast treats are about as easy as they get.
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin or 1/2 cup mashed cooked pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- MAPLE CREAM CHEESE GLAZE:
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- In small saucepan, heat milk and 2 tablespoons butter just until warm (120-130 degrees) and butter is almost melted, stirring constantly.
- In large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar and salt. Add milk mixture and beat with electric mixer until well mixed. Beat in egg and yeast.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flours. Add half of flour mixture to pumpkin mixture. Beat mixture on low speed 5 minutes, scraping sides of bowl frequently. Add remaining flour and mix thoroughly (dough will be very sticky). Turn into lightly greased bowl, then grease surface of dough lightly.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto floured surface. Knead a few turns to form a smooth dough, sprinkling with enough additional flour to make dough easy to handle. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 12x10 inch rectangle.
- In small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Brush surface of dough with melted butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture. Beginning with long side of dough, roll up jellyroll style. Pinch seam to seal. With sharp knife, cut roll into 12 1- inch slices. Place rolls, cut side up, in greased 9 inch round or square baking pan (If using round, there will be a few extra rolls which you can simply place into another small pan). Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake rolls at 350 degrees about 20 minutes or until golden. Using tongs, gently remove rolls from pan to wire rack. Cool 10 to 15 minutes. Drizzle with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze (recipe below) and serve warm.
- for Maple Cream Cheese Glaze: Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and maple syrup in medium bowl. Whisk until smooth. Spread glaze on rolls. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.