This America Makes Dinner Recipe was created by Sierra McCormick, the 14-year-old actress who plays Olive in the Disney Channel series, A.N.T. Farm.
For her favorite family dinner, she submitted these chicken tacos wrapped in lettuce and served with mango salsa. She says, "This a much healthier alternative to the traditional taco. I love Mexican food! I can eat it a little more often with this recipe."
MAIN INGREDIENTS: iceberg lettuce, chicken, mango, tomatoes
- 2 large firm ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño, finely diced - remember to remove the seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast
- 1-2 tsp onion powder
- 1-2 tsp chile powder
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup of water
- 6 to 8 large leaves of iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup low fat shredded cheese
- tortilla strips or chips crumbled (for taste....not too many!)
- Make salsa: chop tomato, chop mango, dice onion, and dice jalapeño (I like it spicy!) and combine in a bowl. Add cilantro and put in fridge to chill while preparing the rest.
- Cut chicken into small pieces. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet and sauté chicken, on medium heat, and season with onion powder, Chile powder, and black pepper. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes (make sure chicken is thoroughly cooked) and then lower heat and add 1/4 cup of water and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Now comes the fun part... making your taco! Take one large leaf of iceberg lettuce, add 2 spoonfuls of chicken meat, one spoonful of salsa, some avocado, and top it with a tablespoon of low fat shredded cheese. For those of you who want the taste of taco shell, add a few tortilla strips... but not too many. Dig in!
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.