Ham and Lentil Soup is the latest dinner recipe selection in the Cozi Family Dinner Club, where we share family dinner recipes and then talk about how they went. Join the Dinner Club to get dinner ideas delivered to your inbox and free tools to plan them.
Mmmm, soup. An inexpensive ham bone adds a ton of flavor to lentils and veggies for a hearty soup. This is a great recipe to make on Sunday to enjoy all week.
- 1 smoked ham bone (e.g., ham shank) or 2 small smoked ham hocks
- 1 lb lentils (about 2/12 cups), picked over and rinsed
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, chopped (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 onions, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- In a kettle or soup pot, add 8-10 cups water. Add ham bone and lentils and turn burner on high heat.
- Chop mushrooms, onions, carrots and celery and add to soup pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add cinnamon stick and bay leaf and reduce heat. Simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham bone or ham hock, remove meat and dice or shred the ham. Add meat to soup and stir.
- Remove cinnamon and bay leaf, add salt to taste, and serve.
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.