Croque Madam is one of our Hearty Homemade Meals for Father's Day.
by Georgia Johnson from The Comfort of Cooking.
Though the name may sound fancy, this hearty stovetop sandwich loaded with French bread, Swiss cheese and deli sliced ham couldn't be easier! Top it with a fried egg for a protein packed morning meal, and serve it up with a cup of Dad's favorite coffee for a satisfying, scrumptious breakfast or brunch!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 slices French bread
- 4 thin slices Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 6 thin slices ham
- 1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter 1 side of each bread slice.
- Set both slices bread, buttered side down, in a large skillet set to medium-high heat. Cover each piece of bread with 1 slice cheese, 3 slices ham, and top slice of bread, buttered side up. Cook sandwiches until bottom is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 2 minutes per side.
- Place sandwiches on an oven-safe plate. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the top of each sandwich, and then place a slice of cheese on top.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Cook each egg sunny side up. Turn egg over and cook 1 minute longer for a soft-cooked egg, or 3 minutes longer for a hard-cooked egg.
- Place 1 fried egg atop each sandwich; season egg with salt and pepper. Serve sandwich immediately.
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.