Congratulations to Kary S., for winning the America Makes Dinner recipe contest with this meal! She submitted an easy, healthy and kid-friendly dinner and it's featured as the finale to our recipe challenge. Thank you Kary!
To save time at the dinner hour, prepare the dressing and cut the veggies the night before. (Feel free to substitute your favorite veggies on the kebabs.) For dessert, serve with her Fruit, Yogurt and Granola Parfaits.
MAIN INGREDIENTS: chicken, couscous, tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini
- HOMEMADE ITALIAN DRESSING
- 1 cup vinegar (any type will work)
- 1 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- CHICKEN KEBABS
- 3 skinless/boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1” x 1” cubes
- 1 package button mushrooms, washed
- 1 large zucchini, washed, quartered, and sliced into 3/4” slices
- 1 package cherry tomatoes
- 8 bamboo (or metal) skewers
- HERBED COUSCOUS
- 1 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (can substitute water, if desired)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous (can be found in the bulk-food section)
- Dressing: Pour ingredients into a glass jar with a cover. Cover and shake well. (Dressing can be made the night before.).
- Couscous: Bring broth, green onion, and parsley to a boil in a small saucepan. Add couscous, return to a simmer, cover, and remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Cover chicken cubes in bowl with Italian dressing.
- Spray a grill rack with nonstick, nonflammable cooking spray and preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- If using bamboo skewers soak in water for 30 minutes before assembling.
- To assemble, remove chicken from the marinade, discard the marinade. Slide the chicken, mushrooms, and vegetables onto the skewers, alternating ingredients. Leave small gaps between the pieces.
- Brush skewers with additional Italian dressing.
- Arrange the skewers on the grill, and grill until the chicken is done, about 4 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear.
- Place skewers on individual plates over the herbed couscous.
- (Alternate Broiler Method: Place kebabs on a broiler-safe plate, using non-stick cooking spray on the pan so the kebabs release easily. Place the pan about 5 inches away from the broiler heating source. Broil the kebabs for about six minutes per side.)
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.