Basil Orange Chicken was a dinner recipe selection in the Cozi Family Dinner Club, where we share family dinner recipes and then talk about how they went. Join the Dinner Club to get dinner ideas delivered to your inbox and free tools to plan them.
The dish is from Good Housekeeping and you can find the original recipe here.
Basil, orange and lemon make this a light and fresh grilled chicken. Serve in a single dish with couscous and snap peas for a simple summer meal.
- 1 large navel orange
- 2 lemons
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 (1 ½ pounds) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 package (8-ounce) stringless sugar snap peas
- Grilled orange and lemon slices for garnish
- From orange, grate 1 ½ teaspoons peel and squeeze 4 tablespoons juice. From lemons, grate 1 ½ teaspoons peel and squeeze 1/3 cup juice.
- In medium bowl, combine 1 teaspoon of each peel and 1 tablespoon orange juice with half of basil, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- With flat side of meat mallet, pound chicken breasts (placed between 2 sheets plastic wrap) to an even ½-inch thickness. Add chicken to citrus mixture, turning to coat; set aside.
- In small pitcher or bowl, combine sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and remaining citrus peels, citrus juices, basil, and oil; set aside.
- Preheat large ridged grill pan or prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling on medium-high.
- Meanwhile, prepare couscous as label directs.
- Add chicken to hot grill pan or place on hot grill grate; cook 4 minutes. Turn chicken over and cook 3 to 4 minutes longer or until no longer pink in center.
- While chicken is cooking on second side, steam snap peas for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Fluff couscous and spoon onto large platter; top with chicken and snap peas. Drizzle sauce over all. Garnish with citrus slices.
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.