Dr. Seuss’s Oh the Places You'll Go is a quick classic, inspiring all of those graduates to look at the next phase of life with a true spirit of adventure and balance. The focus of any graduation party will be gathering, eating, and talking, but having a theme for decorations, special food ideas, and a few activities can make the party memorable. This classic Seuss book serves as the perfect theme for such a party. Here are some tips:
- Make your invitations bright and colorful with lots of fun shapes. Write something clever, such as “Oh, the places you’ll go when you attend (graduate’s name)’s party!”
- For decorations, make a large “Congratulations” sign for the graduate. Include a picture of him or her on the sign, and have people write special messages around the picture for a special keepsake.
- Decorate the house with arrows pointing in different directions, representing all of the places that the graduate can go.
- Use bright-colored streamers, balloons, and tableware for decorative touches.
- For favors, send guests home with a copy of the book, or take favorite quotes from the book and write them on fancy paper that can be framed and sent home.
- Check out funtocollect.com for the Dr. Seuss Oh! The Places You’ll Go collection. The cool glasses and graduation caps would be fun to have guests wear at the party.
- For an artsy group, have the guests draw their own caricatures of the graduate as another keepsake. They can also include a favorite quote from the book with their picture as well.
- During the party, have each guest give a toast to the graduate describing all of the places that he or she will go. Prepare for this activity before the party, and even have several groups act out the places.
- Have kazoos, horn blowers, bubbles, and poppers on hand to shower the graduate on his or her journey.
- Don’t forget the cake. Either purchase or bake an inexpensive sheet cake, frost it white, and re-create the cover of the book with gel icing. It doesn’t need to be an exact match, just in the spirit of the fun.
Graduation parties are usually spent hanging out, eating good food, and catching up. It is wonderful to add a unique touch to the festivities, and this is an excellent theme for such a special occasion.
--Lisa Kothari, Peppers and Pollywogs