Are you amazed at how much garbage your family produces each week? If so, take the challenge to produce a smaller pile of trash each week.
Even though your household IS creating waste from several people, chances are there are lots of opportunities to make smarter decisions that reduce the load on the landfill and planet. Start by getting in the habit of considering the garbage that will result each time you buy, use or need to get rid of an item.
To help, Cozi and Glad Trash are offering this list of reminders for keeping trash to a minimum. And keep in the habit during birthday parties, dinner gatherings, or family camping trips!
- Eliminate all but essential single-use items. Instead use real dishes, napkins and reusable containers and water bottles.
- Buy food in bulk, making sure to select options that contain more food than packaging. One jug with a gallon of juice is way better than juice boxes that have 6 ounces of juice in each box.
- Before buying durable goods new, consider whether you can find it pre-owned. Shop second hand stores, search craigslist and Freecycle, and ask friends and neighbors for the item first.
- Consider donations or swaps for items you might otherwise throw away. That old toaster, laptop or bin of kids’ clothes can have a second life with another family!
- Look for quality products that will last longer than cheaply made alternatives. You’ll save money in the long run.
- Cook at home from fresh ingredients, cutting down on pre-packaged meals and take-out food in packed containers and bags.
- Bring reusable bags to every store, they’re not just for the supermarket anymore! Some stores will even give you a bag discount.
- Set up an easy-to-use sorting system for recycling, compost and garbage, and keep it in place during parties and gatherings.
- Skip the junk mail. Let unwanted magazine subscriptions run out, and opt out of catalogs and other junk mail so you don’t have to throw it away. Catalog Choice is a good place to start.
- Get the lowdown on which bags are right for garbage, recycling and compost from the experts at Glad Trash
Reminders to Reduce Household Waste (condensed list for download to Cozi)
- Eliminate single-use items
- Buy food in bulk
- Consider pre-owned before buying durable goods
- Donate or swap items that have more life left
- Buy quality products instead of the cheapest
- Cook at home more often than take-out and pre-packaged meals
- Bring reusable bags everywhere you go
- Recycle and compost during parties and gatherings
- Eliminate junk mail
- Use the right bags for garbage, recycling and compost - learn more at www.glad.com/products/trash-bags/recycle
See more shopping and to do lists in the Cozi List Library.
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.