It’s strange to think about, but in five months it will be the week before Christmas! Some people like to celebrate Christmas in July on the 25th day of this month. Even though the holidays are not very close, you still can do something fun and different on a hot summer day by celebrating Christmas in July.
Find some jingle-jangle inspiration for your celebration here:
- Provide the kids with red and green construction paper, markers, glitter, glue, and crayons for making festive holiday creations.
- Bake a batch of sugar cookies, and cut them out in fun holiday shapes. Have the kids ice them with red and green frosting, and add other festive touches.
- Bring out Dad’s shaving cream, and have the kids create wintry scenes. Make sure to lay newspaper down on the table. This is fun and messy, and everyone comes out smelling really fresh and clean!
- Sing Christmas carols.
- Play a version of holiday charades.
- Using cotton balls and glue sticks, create snow people!
- Tell the tale of The Night Before Christmas.
- Bring out a miniature Christmas tree, and let the kids decorate it with small ornaments or little paper ones that they create.
- Send the kids on a holiday treasure hunt for small goodies hidden around your home and yard.
- Remember that in the Southern Hemisphere it is warm on Christmas day. A traditional holiday meal there is “shrimp on the barbie!” Discuss how weather is different all around the globe depending on the season, and how Christmas feels different when it is 90 degrees outdoors. It’s fun and educational!
Happy Christmas in July!
--Lisa Kothari, Peppers and Pollywogs
Join the Cozi Family Dinner Club today
Get family-approved dinner recipes each month and members only giveaways! Learn more.