We're about to have a big shift once again from school time to summertime. Are you ready for it? Here are some things to think about:
Getting Away from It All:
- Have you asked off time from work?
- Do you have travel arrangements made for flights and lodging?
- Do you have your passport if needed?
- Do you have someone to care for the house & pets while you're gone?
Kids Are Afoot:
- If you work outside the home (or work from home), have you finalized your plans for child care? If sharing custody, have you worked out plans for the kids spending extended time with dad or mom?
- Have you figured out the driving arrangements for getting all of this accomplished?
- Have you thought about a new summer routine for the household, accounting for a different pace and bedtimes? You want to stay open and fun, but have some structure too.
- Are there rules you should think through about use of a neighborhood pool or park or how to interact with the neighbors and their kids and homes?
- Do you have a place dedicated for the pool gear and other sports equipment that might be frequently used this season? Make it as simple as possible for the kids to use for storing these items. Use hooks and open shelving whenever you can.
Packing for Summer Camp:
- Have you finished all of the required paperwork for camp, such as physicals, shot records, and permission waivers?
- Have you shopped for and gathered camping supplies and gear to send along? Have you labeled your child's camping gear?
Dust Off the Welcome Mat:
- Are you ready for visitors to come to your home? What needs to be done for you to feel ready? Imminent guests are a GREAT motivator to declutter and get organized!
- You can create a Tourist Binder to help your guests find fun activities to do and places to explore in your local area.
You may have a little time to figure these things out before school's out. The key is to TAKE ACTION on something on this list TODAY. Is there one phone call you can make or one item you can pick up while shopping to get you on track?
What are your summer readiness tasks, and are you ready?
Certified Professional Organizer Lorie Marrero is the creator of ClutterDiet.com, an innovative program allowing anyone to get expert help at an affordable price. She is also the author of The Clutter Diet: The Skinny on Organizing Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life. Her organizing books and products are sold online and in stores nationwide. Lorie has been a spokesperson for Brother label makers and FedEx Office, and she is a sought-after expert for national media such as CNBC, Good Housekeeping, WGN News and Woman's Day.