Easy Beef Goulash
This version of goulash, made with hamburger and elbow macaroni, was a popular family dinner in the 1970s. Do you remember it? It's a crowd-pleaser and fits any frugal budget. Plan it for a night when you'll have big appetites at the table.
Prep Time: Cook time: Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Brown ground beef.
- Add onion and green pepper. Cook over medium heat until soft (10-15 min).
- Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to the beef mixture. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- While the beef mixture cooks, boil the macaroni al dente, drain.
- Add the macaroni to the beef mixture, stir well, and simmer another 20 minutes, covered.